Saturday, December 11, 2010

TinyTrak4

I got my TinyTrak4 up and running.  What is it you ask?  It is an APRSTM GPS position encoder which, when connected to a serial GPS and a radio, will transmit its location at an adjustable rate.  I am using it as a way to report my position automatically while we go on our trip.  I know, some of you say "Use your smartphone's GPS app so people can track you that way".  Well, the good thing about this little device is that when there is no cell phone coverage, more than likely there will be radio coverage.  When I talk about radio, I mean HAM radio, specifically 2 meter. 
   For the geeks in the audience, you can go to : http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak4/ and check it out for yourself.  Kind of a nifty little gadget.  I got the optional display and have connected a keyboard to it, which allows me to see decoded packets, send short text messages, and to adjust settings on the fly.  A very cool addition to the TinyTrak4.  The display and keyboard adapter don't come with an enclosure, so I bought one and fit the TT4, LCD and the keyboard adapter into one box.  See below pictures of my little project.


2 comments:

  1. Finally I have found a simple layout that is easy to understand. I do have a couple of questions for you:
    Are the DB-9 connectors use crimp-on pins? What are the yellow wraps around each wire at the DB-9 connectors?
    I have found a source for the DB-9 plugs, but am not having luck with the PS-2 connector; can you tell me where you found yours?
    Is the on/off switch just for the display, or the entire package?

    Again; a very nice job! Scott-N8JQJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Scooter,

    I apologize for taking so long to reply, I didn't think anyone would read this! ANyway, to answer your questions: The DB-9 connectors are solder type. The yellow straps on the wires are actually pieces of heatshrink that I labeled using a Sharpie, otherwise I might hook the wires up incorrectly! The connector for the PS/2 I just cut off from an old keyboard extension cable, and used an ohm meter to verify the pins. If you don't have any of those laying around, a good source may be a local thrift store. Also, places like Digikey, Mouser, or even Jameco. The power switch is for the whole thing. Hope this helps! If you need anything else, please email me directly at sincity337(put the correct symbol here)yahoo(again, the correct symbol)com.

    ReplyDelete